Coach Operator (Driver)
- Immediate Opportunities - Logistics
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $19.00, upon completion of training
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Wellness Clinic, Life Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, 401(a), and 457(b),
Coach Operator (Driver)
The Fixed Route Coach Operator position involves all duties and responsibilities associated with transit vehicle operation. Duties include carrying out those functions pertaining to the safe, courteous, and efficient operation of assigned transit vehicles on routine and/or special service routes. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, employing defensive driving techniques, maintaining professional courtesy while under stress, making public address announcements, properly answering questions and solving transit-related concerns of passengers, and exercising prudent judgment under a variety of constantly changing operating conditions.
• Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of IndyGo, working effectively in a diverse work environment, using prudent judgment at all times, performing duties in a safe manner, and assuring professional quality of services to all external and internal customers.
• Operates transit bus in revenue and non-revenue service while in strict compliance with IndyGo policies, directives, and procedures and all Federal and Indiana traffic laws and regulations. This includes using proper defensive driving techniques.
• Provides customer service information in a courteous, professional manner. This includes operating the automated stop announcements system and/or stating stop and public information announcements over the public-address system, and properly answering questions and solving transit-related concerns of passengers.
• Stocks the on-board bus schedule racks with appropriate bus schedules and IndyGo approved brochures, issues official information fliers and surveys as required. Operates farebox, inspects various bus passes in a professional, courteous manner.
• Performs pre-trip inspection of transit bus for mechanical problems prior to beginning scheduled run. This includes conducting an external/internal visual inspection of the transit bus and pre-testing all necessary equipment, operating/safety devices, and transit bus controls for use while in service. Also conducts an internal visual inspection at the end of revenue service to collect and turn-in lost items, check for sleeping passengers and bring route schedules back inside the operator's lounge.
• Completes farebox logout and post trip inspections upon completion of scheduled shifts.
• Maintains working knowledge of streets, current bus routes and stops within the service area as well as IndyGo's current fare structure and bus pass programs.
• Maintains current knowledge of and adherence to all IndyGo operating policies, directives, and procedures.
• Maintains current knowledge of and is in strict compliance with Federal and Indiana traffic laws and regulations as well as Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations.
• Complies with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) in operating the transit bus. This includes providing accessibility for disabled passengers to board and de-board and safely securing such passengers in a courteous manner, announcing designated stops, and testing all passenger accessibility equipment during pre-trip inspections.
• Completes accident and incident reports accurately and legibly as necessary at the end of scheduled shifts.
• Performs various physical duties to successfully complete job responsibilities. These can include, but are not limited to, boarding and de-boarding transit buses, properly securing disabled passengers, properly operating all transit bus controls and operating devices as required.
• Provides information to the Transportation Supervisor and/or Radio Control Dispatcher regarding route problems or traffic changes.
• Adhere to all emergency protocols and procedures.
• Practices safety at all times in performance of required duties.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Valid Indiana commercial driver's license with passenger and air brake endorsements; or the ability to obtain the required license prior to hire.
• No more than two (2) points assessed against motor vehicle record at time of application.
• Strong documented experience in customer service.
• Commercial driver's experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Ability to successfully complete the IndyGo Training Academy and all other training events such as In-Service. This includes achieving the required minimum scores on all written and driving tests and/or evaluations.
• Knowledge of and the ability to use standard defensive driving techniques.
• Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, while interacting with customers and IndyGo employees in a courteous, professional manner. This includes providing good customer service by attending to the needs of a diverse customer base in a sensitive manner.
• Above average decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
• Basic mathematical abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
• Ability to tell time and keep a timely schedule.
• Ability to read and understand maps, routes and timetables, which includes determining directions and following a mapped-out route.
• Ability to work and maintain professional composure while under stress and pressure.
• Ability to work unusual hours, split shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime as required.
• Ability to use prudent judgement and common sense in making quick, safe decisions with minimal supervision and adapt to constantly changing operation environments.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Must be able to pass a current Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination by obtaining a DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate and then maintain a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate thereafter.
• Ability to work in an environment with dust, fumes, exhaust, various noise levels, various temperatures and chemicals for an extended length of time as well as in various outdoor weather conditions as required.
• Strong sensory skills, such as good hearing, dexterity, and good eyesight.
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time within a defined workspace that cannot be modified.
• Must be able to occasionally kneel, bend forward (fully and partially) and squat while conducting inspections and securing wheelchairs on the coach.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts