Indy Achieves Student Success Coach - IUPUI
- EmployIndy - Postsecondary
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Health, Vision, Dental, 401K, Cell Phone Contribution, and Parking
EmployIndy guides the local workforce ecosystem and makes strategic investments to remove barriers to quality employment for underserved and underrepresented residents. The vision for EmployIndy is clear: for all Marion County residents to have access to services and training necessary to secure a livable wage and grow in a career that meets employer demand for talent. Indy Achieves, initiated by Mayor Joe Hogsett, and housed at EmployIndy, seeks to close the skills gap by increasing the proportion of Marion County adults with a high-quality degree or credential from 42% to 65% by 2027.
The Student Success Coach – IUPUI will be primarily responsible for supporting Marion County Indiana students to success at IUPUI. The Coach will take a proactive approach to actively intervene with students in real-time for the challenges they face as students. The Coach will develop expertise with IUPUI and will coordinate with Indy Achieves liaisons in the relevant campus offices. The coach will use initiative and persistence to deploy the latest research and technology to improve completion rates for students. The position is on the Indy Achieves team and will be located at EmployIndy and IUPUI.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
- Individualized Coaching and Educational Services Advising
- Work with identified Indy Achieves cohort to provide student success coaching, including assistance in academic support, basic needs, social-emotional support, and career development
- Create opportunities for community building amongst students in the cohort
- Provide financial literacy assistance and refer students to the Office of Student Financial Services for information on student financial aid and FAFSA completion
- Provide career-readiness success strategies, including connecting the student to the IUPUI Career Services and EmployIndy
- Develop college success skills within students, including study skills, time-management, and goal-setting
- Utilize data systems at IUPUI and EmployIndy to prioritize certain students for interventions around success factors
- Monitor academic progress and utilize learning and strengths assessments to develop individual success plans
- Utilize a multimedia approach to engage students including Zoom, text message platforms, calling campaigns, learning management system (Canvas), and other IU system tools
- Maintain accurate records and documentation of services provided
- Understand and refer students to services and campus resources available at IUPUI
- Social, Cultural, and Coordination
- Participate in Bridge Week/New Student Orientation component as an instructor
- Identify and/or develop social and leadership opportunities for participants on campus and in the community
- Communicate opportunities for student development like service activities and workplace tours
- Organize activities that cultivate a post-graduate culture, including visits to workplaces and professional development experiences
- Create and/or collaborate to provide student success workshops, including but not limited to, the areas of financial literacy, building skills, and career preparation
- Assist in the evaluation and documentation of program components
- Assist in the marketing of the program via new student orientation, faculty/staff engagement, and campus events
- Adhere to Indy Achieves policies and procedures and contribute to updating those policies and procedures based on experience
- Participate in professional growth activities to remain informed with current retention and success best practices, theories, and technologies
- Attend meetings, present about the program, and/or collaborate with campus partners at IUPUI including but not limited to the following: Student Financial Services, Academic and Career Development, 21st Century Scholars Success Program, etc.
- Empowerment: Management and team members trust one another to make the right decisions.
- Integrity: Staff member does what he/she has committed to doing and is true to him/herself when no one is looking.
- Innovation: Each staff member must take an active role in the process of learning, sharing, and building upon personal as well as team members' ideas.
- Customer Service: Staff members are positive, friendly, helpful, and customer-centric during communications with customers.
- Collaboration: A staff member understands that working together is what causes a company and each team to thrive.
- Inclusive: Staff members promote a safe, welcoming, and equitable environment where fellow team members can contribute one's authentic self.
- Results-driven: Staff member drives organizational impact by taking the initiative to intentionally prioritize tasks, remove barriers, make thoughtful decisions, and produce results.
- Manage change: Must be innovative, display initiative, be willing to take risks, and remain flexible and adaptable in response to changing work and regulatory environment
- Cross-sectional collaboration: Must be able to navigate across the many departments at IUPUI (e.g., Institutional data; Student Success; Financial Aid departments)
- Plan and organize work: Must be able to plan and organize his/her work and the work of others which involves the ability to analyze problems using data, reach decisions, make and implement plans
- Interface effectively with others: (Interpersonal Skills) Must be able to work effectively with others which involves oral communications, professional relationship building, and teamwork
- Achieve results: Must be results-oriented and able to achieve goals which involves a motivation to achieve, an awareness of the business of EmployIndy/Indy Achieves, a willingness to learn, and a strong customer focus
- Leadership: Must be able to assist other team members in the fulfillment of their duties and look to fill gaps in the work without direction from superior which involves the exercise of developed knowledge, ability to motivate others, set goals, and monitor results
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Required experience working with students in an education, support service, or related field
- Preferred training experience in academic advising, financial aid/literacy, and career advising
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth or adults, specifically those who are low-income, first-generation, or from diverse communities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of individuals who are traditionally underrepresented in post-secondary education and knowledge of issues affecting their college retention and success
- Knowledge of academic support services, financial aid/literacy, and career assessment techniques
- Ability to problem solve
- Familiarity with social and emotional student development activities
- Ability to manage a high caseload of students and prioritize engagement appropriately
- High initiative, creativity, and ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Evidence of computer literacy
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and organizational skills required
- Knowledge of IUPUI and Ivy Tech
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel for trainings and meetings
EmployIndy grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, disability, age, national origin, military service obligations, veteran status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. EmployIndy provides equal opportunity in wages, promotions, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts